girl with red and white toothbrush in mouth

What happens if you ingest mouthwash?

The simple solution to ” What happens if I swallow mouthwash?” Isthat it is dependent. The results will vary based on the amount of mouthwash you take as well as the ingredients in the mouthwash, as well as the individual sensitivities you have.

Every mouthwash is different. Some have high concentrations of alcohol. Alcohol is utilized for the purpose of killing bacteria. It also helps protect the product and keep all the ingredients in suspension. Unfortunately, the higher alcohol content has led to users misuse mouthwashes for drinking.

Some mouthwashes also contain preservatives, antimicrobials or other substances to treat oral issues like tooth decay or gum disease. These chemicals alter the expiration date for the product . These products are extremely hazardous if you overdose.

Even natural mouthwashes have substances that could be harmful when swallowed in large amounts .

This article focuses on:

  • What happens if you swallow a small amount mouthwash?
  • What should you do if consume a lot of mouthwash?
  • Mouthwash side effects
  • Drink mouthwash to become drunk
  • Summary

Do we need to take mouthwash?

Mouthwash is made according to the name to be sucked in the mouth. It is therefore an opportunity for the mouthwash getting swallowed accidentally.

The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) establishes standards for the use of chemical substances as well as for safety testing .



However, the mouthwash is made to be spit out and not consumed. Therefore, it is in danger to drink.

Some ingredients could be more hazardous than others. We’ll examine these later, but for now below are some suggestions to keep in mind when you’ve consumed an oral rinse .

What do you do if you take a small amount of mouthwash?

If you happen to swallow mouthwash, it’s not likely to cause harm.

It is possible to feel a little dizzy or experience diarrhea. It is common for this to disappear within a couple of hours.

To prevent swallowing an unintentionally mouthwash, we suggest you follow these steps:

  • Purchase mouthwashes with caps that are child-proof. .
  • Be sure to watch children as they are using mouthwash to ensure they do not spit it out.
  • The youngsters under the age of 6 are not advised to make use of mouthwash since they might be unable to control their swallowing reflex.
  • Do not be distracted when applying mouthwash. Make time for your daily oral hygiene routine to ensure that you be attentive to it.

What happens if you take an excessive amount of mouthwash?

If you drink a significant dose of mouthwash you may be an issue with your health. The reason is that mouthwashes may contain substances that can be harmful in high amounts. These ingredients are described in the following section.

Here’s some general guidelines to follow if you’ve taken a significant amount of mouthwash.

  • Don’t try to vomit or let the person who took a mouthwash overdose go through the motions of vomiting.
  • Compare the mouthwash’s label to the list of ingredients that are harmful and possible side effects in the next section.
  • Consult your physician or your emergency room. Give the exact ingredients and the weight and age that the patient has overdosed. They’ll provide you with the most effective guidance.
  • If you need emergency assistance, call 911 if your symptoms are serious. These include dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty breathing or, in severe cases, seizures. If you need to go to an emergency room, be sure to bring your mouthwash bottle along with you.
  • If you are unsure Always consult a medical doctor .

Mouthwash Ingredients, side effects and the ingredients

There are a myriad of mouthwashes as well as a wide variety of ingredients. Some that may be harmful are listed below. Keep in mind that these ingredients are safe when utilized according to the instructions . It is only when they are used in large dosages where the more frightening adverse effects could be observed.

One of the most toxic substance is alcohol. which is usually the ethyl alcohol.

Ethyl alcohol

This is an alcohol that has been intentionally modified to make it unsafe for human consumption in order to discourage individuals who drink it. This is called denaturing. It typically involves the addition of additional chemicals. This process doesn’t alter the effects of alcohol. It’s actually the alcohol content that is high present in mouthwashes that causes certain people take these products to drink alcohol.

Alongside the negative consequences you may experience drinking alcohol with a high concentration and other chemicals that are added during denaturation. If it’s Methanol the adverse side effects could include nerve system harm, blindness or death.

Methyl salicylate

This ingredient is used as a flavoring and also as an antiseptic.

Some side effects include rapid poisoning with salicylate . The symptoms include breathlessness and exhaustion, ears ringing hyperventilation, organ dysfunction and even death. It’s especially risky for people who take blood thinners like Wayfairin.

Hydrogen peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide can be found in mouthwashes for its antiseptic properties.

A high dose of hydrogen peroxide could cause damage to the digestive system, causing vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.

Chlorhexidine gluconate

The ingredient is antibacterial and is frequently used to combat gingivitis. .

Consuming this ingredient can lead to problems with circulation, increase blood pressure and cause damage to the heart. It also kills the bacteria responsible for gingivitis and causing inflammation, it also affects the beneficial bacteria that regulate blood pressure.


Fluoride can help fight tooth decay. It’s often used in mouthwashes.

It is widely believed that the benefits of fluoride far outweigh the risk. When it is used in high amounts fluoride can cause damage to joints and bones. It may also cause neurologic and thyroid issues. Children younger than 6 are especially vulnerable to it.

Fluoride is a well-known neurotoxin, but it is only a danger by drinking large amounts of mouthwash. This is discussed in the following section.

Drink mouthwash to be drunk

If the mouthwash in your mouth is alcoholic, the concentrations are more than in the typical alcoholic beverage .

For instance, beer generally has 5% alcohol, and wine contains 12 percent. The alcohol content in mouthwashes can be as high as 26.9 percent. It is much higher than the alcohol content of certain spirits. It means that the use of a few milliliters of mouthwash could cause you to drink more than 3 or 2 pints of beer.

This has led some to use mouthwash for a way to drink alcohol.

As we’ve already stated, the alcohol in mouthwashes was deliberately designed to be in a way that is not suitable for human consumption . The chemicals that are used in this process could cause potentially fatal and dangerous negative effects when overdosed.

Never drink mouthwash to drink alcohol .


  • The accidental ingestion of some mouthwash is not usually hazardous unless you’re allergic to any one or several ingredients.
  • Consuming large quantities of mouthwash may cause harm for your health, depending on the components.
  • It is not advisable to overdo mouthwash to become drunk.
  • Children must be watched while using mouthwashes, and shouldn’t use it when they are less than six years old (unless directed to do so by a dentist).
  • If you consume large quantities of mouthwash, consult your GP or visit an emergency department. Indicate the weight and age of the patient and details of the ingredients inside the mouthwash.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *